AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to update my organization's tax status with GuideStar

Question asked by rachel.clarke.78 on May 2, 2018
Latest reply on May 3, 2018 by robin.burdick

GuideStar Representative,

Please review the attached documentation regarding the tax-exempt status of Concordia College in Moorhead, MN.  We are a subordinate (or affiliate) under the group exemption of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA) and have been since 1988.  While we are not sure how/why the college does not currently show under this group exemption in the IRS database, we are working with the ELCA and legal counsel to resolve this discrepancy.  In the meantime, we are proactively working with donors and specifically our matching gift partners - many of whom rely on the information provided on GuideStar, to do everything we can on behalf of our donors to ensure that their gifts can be matched within the employers’ matching time frame allowed.  Thank you for your time and for reviewing our circumstances during this interim period while we work to resolve the issue within the IRS system.

Attachments Include:

1. Letter from the General Counsel of the ELCA affirming that Concordia College is part of the group exemption ruling and in good standing as an affiliate.
  2. The original 501(c)3 exemption assignment for the ELCA
  3. The original group ruling of the ELCA that we fall under

If there are other source documents or specific steps that we need to take to re-instate Concordia College to your approved list, please let me know.  We are eager to pave the way for our donors so they can successfully submit their matching gifts.  If there is any way in which we can escalate this issue I am more than happy to have a direct conversation in order to move this through. 

Direct Line:  218-299-4816

Cell Phone:  701-306-2242

Outcomes