What do I do if I believe an organization is abusing their tax-exempt status?

Document created by communitymanager Administrator on Jul 13, 2018Last modified by communitymanager Administrator on Jul 13, 2018
Version 4Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

If you believe that a nonprofit organization is acting unlawfully or improperly there are governmental authorities and consumer organizations with which you can share this information.

For state governments, contact your state Attorney General office.
For the federal government, the Internal Revenue Service recommends that written complaints about the activities or operations of tax-exempt organizations that are inconsistent with their exemption should be sent to:
Internal Revenue Service
Exempt Organizations Examination Division
1100 Commerce Street
Dallas, TX 75242
The IRS complaint should contain all relevant facts concerning the alleged violation of tax law.
Another reporting resource available to you is the Better Business Bureau. The Bureau offers an inquiry and complaint filing procedure at: https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started
We also recommend writing a review on GuideStar to alert others to potential red flags in this charity’s operations. To read or write a review of an organization, please click the link below:


What if my question wasn't answered here?

Create a support case.