How To Earn Your 2018 Seal of Transparency

Document created by communitymanager Administrator on Jan 17, 2018Last modified by communitymanager Administrator on Mar 13, 2018
Version 4Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

You can now earn a 2018 Seal of Transparency! Earning a 2018 Seal is important and simple. Your funders and many stakeholders want to know that the information you are sharing with them is up to date and accurate. Your 2018 Seal provides that important signal. Luckily, earning a 2018 Seal is as easy as logging in to your Nonprofit Profile on GuideStar and making sure all required fields are complete.

Read on to learn what information you’ll need to earn your 2018 GuideStar Seal of Transparency.

Getting Started

I Don’t Have A Seal Yet

Claim Your Organization's Profile. Once you have access to edit your profile, complete the required fields (marked with a *) for each section. You can get ready by printing out this best practices guide. Remember that the Seals build on each other -  you can earn a Platinum Seal only if you also first complete the requirements for Bronze, Silver, and Gold Seals.

I Already Have A Seal

If you already have a Seal, you’re almost there for 2018! Check to make sure you have completed the required information (marked with a *) for each section. The progress bar at the top of your form let's you know if something is missing and you can also print out our best practices guide. Keep in mind that to earn your 2018 Seal you will want to review and make updates to fields in Bronze, Silver and Gold, even if you are at Platinum. Check out the information below to learn more about the requirements in each section.

Click on a link to learn how to earn a 2018 Seal

Bronze

Silver

Gold

Platinum

How To Earn A 2018 Seal of Transparency 

Bronze Seal

1. Sign in to guidestar.org or register
  2. Click Update Nonprofit Profile link at the top of the home page
  3. Choose Edit Form under Manage 
  4. Choose Bronze on the left-side of the page
  5. Most of the new information fields can be found within the Bronze section. Look for the New Icon next to the links in the navigation bar.

Tips

• We now feature the geographic areas served by your programs on a map.You’ll find the map in the Programs & Maps section. While in this section, you’ll also need to include a brief description of the program and population served.
  • Enter your payment address and fundraising contact to make sure donations reach your organization.
  • Finally, we’ve created a Brand section, so you can tailor your GuideStar Nonprofit Profile to your organization. You can add a tagline, upload a high-resolution logo, and display your website URL.
  • A helpful guide on how to achieve the Bronze Seal of Transparency

The Final Step

Once you've completed the 2018 requirements, the final step to earning a 2018 Seal is to click the "Publish Changes Now" button, located at the bottom of the web page. Note that the system will be giving you a seal based on the 2018 requirements. Not ready yet? Just click the "Save" button, and you can come back later to finish your good work.

Silver Seal

4. Choose Silver on the left-side of the page
  5. To earn the Silver Seal, you’ll need to make sure your financial information is current.

Tips

• We require that your financial information reflects your most recent fiscal year - so 2017 or 2016 - as applicable.
  • Be sure to actually tell us your fiscal year beginning and end dates - they are required.
  • A helpful guide on how to achieve the Silver Seal of Transparency

The Final Step

Once you've completed the 2018 requirements, the final step to earning a 2018 Seal is to click the "Publish Changes Now" button, located at the bottom of the web page. Note that the system will be giving you a seal based on the 2018 requirements. Not ready yet? Just click the "Save" button, and you can come back later to finish your good work.

Gold Seal

4. Choose Gold on the left-side of the page
  5. If you already have a Gold or Platinum Seal, you don’t need to make any changes to the Gold required fields section. But we encourage you to take a look at what you entered before.

Tips

• We listened to your feedback and changed the Impact Statement to a Problem Overview.
  • We shortened the Problem Overview character limit to 1,000 characters (it was 2,000) to improve viewing on mobile devices.
  • A helpful guide on how to achieve the Gold Seal of Transparency 

The Final Step

Once you've completed the 2018 requirements, the final step to earning a 2018 Seal is to click the "Publish Changes Now" button, located at the bottom of the web page. Note that the system will be giving you a seal based on the 2018 requirements. Not ready yet? Just click the "Save" button, and you can come back later to finish your good work.

Platinum Seal

4. Choose Platinum on the left-side of the page
  5. To stay up to date with Platinum, all you need to do is add to at least one metric from 2017. That’s it!

Tip

The Final Step

Once you've completed the 2018 requirements, the final step to earning a 2018 Seal is to click the "Publish Changes Now" button, located at the bottom of the web page. Note that the system will be giving you a seal based on the 2018 requirements. Not ready yet? Just click the "Save" button, and you can come back later to finish your good work.

What if my question wasn't answered here?

Create a supportcase.

FAQs

How will I know which seal I’ve earned?

There are two ways to know which Seal you’ve earned before seeing it on your Nonprofit Profile.

1. The progress bar at the top of the page will update in real time. This is a great way to see how much progress you have made in each section.
  2. When you’re ready to publish your changes, you will get a confirmation of the Seal of Transparency you’re about to earn. If it’s not what you’re expecting, you can always add the needed information.

I know I have earned a 2018 Seal. Why don’t I see it on my profile?
There are several reasons you might not see the Seal:

• You may not have hit the red Publish Changes Now
  • You may not have completed all of the required fields. Take a look at the progress bar at the top of the Summary page and make sure you are at the level you’re expecting.

*Note: You need to be at 100%, not just for the level you’re earning, but also for each previous level .

Updates will appear on GuideStar 20-30 minutes after publishing.

Updates made to your Nonprofit Profile do not automatically sync with partner sites like Facebook, AmazonSmile, and Network for Good. GuideStar sends updated information on Nonprofit Profiles to our partners each month. If you recently made updates to your Profile, it may take up to a month to appear on partner sites.

Will there be high-resolution images of the new Seals of Transparency?

Of course! To access the images of the new Seals, you must first earn a Bronze Seal or higher. Then, navigate to the Benefits and Rewards section within our system. Locate the Outreach Tool Kit, which will contain small, medium, and large images of the Seal. You can also add the new Seal to your website by locating the GuideStar participation logo and widget, which will provide you with a snippet of code you can copy and paste into your website.

How to access images of Seals:

How do I know which field is required and which is optional?
Each required field has a red asterisk (*) to the right of the label.

Do you have step-by-step guides on how to earn each Seal level?

Yes! Click on a link to learn how to earn a 2018 Seal

I don’t have a Seal. Do you have more resources on how to earn one?

Attachments

Outcomes