How to Receive Third Party Donations on Your GuideStar Nonprofit Profile

Document created by robin.burdick Employee on Jul 21, 2017Last modified by communitymanager on Oct 16, 2017
Version 8Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

GuideStar provides data to 200+ partners, including AmazonSmile, Network for Good, Facebook and more.  We send our data through recurring data sets (exports), APIs, and subscription services. Relationships are managed with partners that receive information from GuideStar by our Customer Success Manager and VP of Partnerships, they proactively connect with our largest partners on an ongoing basis.  The GuideStar Community is a resource available to all GuideStar Stakeholders for networking and support needs. 

How does my Organization Opt-in to Online Giving on our GuideStar Nonprofit Profile

GuideStar automatically creates a Nonprofit Profile for 501(c) organizations registered with the IRS. When new profiles are created, all organizations are automatically opted-in for third-party donations. However, if your organization has been opted-out, please follow the instructions below to opt your organization back in.

1. Go to www.guidestar.org and sign in using your registered email address and password (I'm not registered with GuideStar).
  2. Click the Update Nonprofit Profile link at the top of the home page.
  3. Click on your organization's name to start updating your organization's profile (I need to claim/request permission to update my profile).
  4. In the top blue navigation bar, select Confirm & Publish.

1. Under the Options for Sharing section, check the box "Yes, I want donors to be able to easily give to my organization".  Click on the following link to see a list of our GuideStar partners Clients and Partners.

1. Click Finish and Publish.

How to Add a Donate Button to your GuideStar Nonprofit Profile Page

1. Go to www.guidestar.org and sign in using your registered email address and password (I'm not registered with GuideStar).
  2. Click the Update Nonprofit Profile link at the top of the home page.
  3. Click on your organization's name to start updating your organization's profile (I need to claim/request permission to update my profile).

1. Under the Options for Sharing section, check the box "Yes, I give GuideStar permission to add a Donate button."

1. Click Finish and Publish

1. The Donate button will appear at the top of your organization's GuideStar Nonprofit profile.

It is free for organizations to have the Donate Now button posted on their GuideStar report page.  We are partnered with Kimbia who handles the online donations procedure.  You can contact Kimbia directly with any additional donation questions at support@kimbia.com.   

K Foundation will process the donations, disbursing checks within the first week of the month for donations made during the previous month.

The charities pay nothing to receive contributions through GuideStar. To offset expenses incurred in processing the donations, however, The K Foundation receives 3.99% of each transaction. Kimbia receives $0.99 per donation. GuideStar receives nothing, having waived any fees it would receive from donations made through the GuideStar website.

How to Opt-Out of third party donations through our Partner Sites

A charity can opt-out of receiving online donations through GuideStar and through our partner sites. To disable online giving, please follow the directions below: 

1. Go to www.guidestar.org and sign in using your registered email address and password (I'm not registered with GuideStar).
  2. Click the Update Nonprofit Profile link at the top of the home page.
  3. Click on your organization's name to start updating your organization's profile (I need to claim/request permission to update my profile).

1. Under the Options for Sharing section, de-select the check box for “Yes, I want donors to be able to easily give to my organization through GuideStar partners like Network for Good and JustGive.” Once completed, be sure to click Finish & Publish at the bottom of the page for your changes to take effect. Your listing will remain on GuideStar partner sites, however, your organization will no longer be able to accept donations. Please allow 24-48 business hours for the changes to take effect.

What if my question wasn't answered here?

Additional Resources

Attachments

Outcomes