How To Use GuideStar Pro

Document created by robin.burdick Employee on Mar 14, 2017Last modified by madelinekardos on Aug 18, 2017
Version 12Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Can you increase the limit of monthly organization downloads per month?

• Unfortunately, we can't increase the limit of 5,000 monthly organization downloads per month.  Your limit will reset back to "0" on the 1st of every month.

Are there download options for my Excel report?

• We provide you with the full range of data upon download. If you would like to filter the downloaded information, you may do so within the Excel report. (see: How do I filter downloaded data?)

**New Feature: GuideStar Charity Check**

How do I search for nonprofits?

1. Start by watching this short video: The New GuideStar Search
  2. Go to www.guidestar.org and sign in using your registered email address and password.
  3. Click the Search link in the toolbar located on the top left-hand side of your screen. This will take you to the GuideStar Search page.

1. You can search for a nonprofit by typing an organization name, EIN (Employer Identification Number) or keywords in the search bar.  You can also filter by geography, GuideStar Nonprofit Profile level, cause area, IRS subsection, number of employees and multiple income, expense, and asset filters.

1. Sample Search: Items marked in red are the search filters used.  Items marked in yellow are the keywords used and the number of search results found.  Items marked in green are options on how to save, download, compare results or sort search results by Relevance, Organization Name, Income and Assets.
    1. You can select individual organizations or choose to download all results. 
    2. **Remember, there is a limit of 5,000 organizations downloaded per month!

1. You may use the Organization tab to filter by GuideStar Nonprofit Profile level and cause area.

1. You may also use the Financials tab to filter by income. To adjust your search, you can use the slider bar (marked by the red arrow) or enter specific income amounts by hovering over $0 and MAX. A box will appear beneath the slider bar, where you can enter an amount; for example, 5K-25M.

1. You can save All organizations on that page by clicking on the drop-down arrow (marked by the green arrow below), you can or you can select None from the drop-down and the organizations on that page will be removed from your saved organizations.

If I don't know the name of a nonprofit, can I search for an organizational leader or board member instead?

1. Yes, you can change the search bar option to People by clicking on the drop-down arrow next to Organization (marked by the yellow arrow below). Then, type the name of the organizational leader(s) or board member(s) from the organization you want to find. You may also use the People search filters, which can be found on the left-hand side of the screen. 

How do I save and download searched information?

1. Go to www.guidestar.org and sign in using your registered email address and password.
  2. Click the Search link in the toolbar located on the top left-hand side of your screen. This will take you to the GuideStar Search page.
  3. You can search for a nonprofit by typing an organization name, EIN (Employer Identification Number) or keywords in the search bar.  You can also filter by geography, GuideStar Nonprofit Profile level, cause area, IRS subsection, number of employees and multiple income, expense, and asset filters.

1. You can save or download data from the organization's Nonprofit Profile by clicking the Save For Later and/or the Download Data tabs at the top of the page marked by the green arrow below.

1. To find out how many organizations are in your download queue, click the drop-down arrow next to your name or "Hi" marked by the red arrow below.

1. Then click the "My Account" link marked by the green arrow below.

1. In the GuideStar Premium Pro section, you will see links for your Download Queue, Saved Organizations, Saved Searches, and View Comparison Set marked by the red arrow below.

1. From the Download Queue, you can Manage Download Queue and view your Monthly Totals, Download History and Organizations Saved for Download.
  2. You are also provided with a list of Data Fields included in the Download.

How do I filter downloaded data?

1. Once you have submitted your Saved Organizations list to download, you will see the messaging below and will receive an email when your download is ready.

1. Click the Download button (marked by the green arrow below). 

1. You can expand or delete the columns in the Excel spreadsheet to create the specific report that you want to generate according to your criteria. 

1. Here is an example of a filtered Excel report. 

How do I view and download a PDF Report and Forms 990 of the organization?

1. Go to www.guidestar.org and sign in using your registered email address and password.
  2. Click the Search link in the toolbar located on the top left-hand side of your screen. This will take you to the GuideStar Search page.
  3. Search for a nonprofit by typing an organization name, Employer Identification Number (EIN), or keyword into the search bar.
  4. Click on the organization's name to view its GuideStar Nonprofit Profile. 
  5. To download a PDF report, click the PDF button in the top-right hand corner of your screen. 
  6. To download a Form 990, click the Show Forms 990 button and select the year you would like to view and download. 

How do I view and download audited financial data?

3. Search for a nonprofit by typing an organization name, Employer Identification Number (EIN), or keyword into the search bar.
  5. Scroll down to the Financials section and click Download Audited Financials.
  6. You can also adjust the year of the financial data by clicking the drop-down menu displaying a year, located above the Revenue and Expenses section.

7. You may also download financial data by clicking the Download button, located beneath the Revenue and Expenses Balance Sheet and sections. 

How do I download the Letter of Determination, Form 1023/1024 and five most recent years of officer and director compensations?

5. Scroll down to the Operations section.
  6. To download the Letter of Determination or Form 1023/1024, look on the right-hand side of the screen. If the document is available, you will see a page icon next to the document's name. Click the document name to download.
  7. To download the five most recent years of officer and director compensation, open the Officers, Directors, Trustees, and Key Employees tab. Click Download.
  8. Adjust the year to view and download the most recent five years' worth of data. 

How do I download the five most recent years of highest paid employees data?

6. To download the the five most recent years of highest paid employees data, click on the second tab titled Highest Paid Employees. 
  7. Adjust the year to view and download the highest paid employee data. 

How do I download the most recent year of the board of directors?

6. To download the most recent year of the board of directors, click on the tab titled Board of Directors. 
  7. Click the Download button, which is located on the right-hand side of the screen. 

Attachments

Outcomes