How To Update Your Organization's NTEE Code.

Document created by robin.burdick Employee on Jan 31, 2017Last modified by communitymanager on Oct 16, 2017
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Our search engine uses the NTEE (National Taxonomy of Exempt Entities) Classification System developed by the National Center for Charitable Statistics as part of its keyword searching criteria. You  can add additional, more relevant codes to your GuideStar profile using the “Categorization” section of the GuideStar Nonprofit Profile. Choosing a good, representative NTEE code will help your organization be found more easily by users searching our database. For example, an organization that is coded C27 will come up when someone searches on the keyword "recycling."

1. Go to www.guidestar.org and sign in using your registered email address and password (I'm not registered with GuideStar).
  2. Click the Update Nonprofit Profile link at the top of the home page.
  3. Click on your organization's name to start updating your organization's profile (I need to claim/request permission to update my profile).
  4. On the left-hand side of the page is a list of categories. Click on Bronze to display subcategories that can be edited.
  5. Click on the subcategory Categorization. 
  6. To get more information, view this fullist of NTEE Codes.

Save & Publish

1. Click Save and Continue at the bottom of the page when complete.
  2. To publish your changes to GuideStar’s website, you must click the Publish Changes Now button located at the bottom of each page. This will take you to the Confirm & Publish page where you will be asked to agree to our Terms of Use.
  3. Click Finish and Publish to complete the process. Your information will be appear on your GuideStar Nonprofit Profile within 48 hours.

Attachments

Outcomes