GuideStar Platinum encourages nonprofit organizations to share their progress and results in important new ways moving way beyond simplistic financial ratios to reflect the changes organizations are making in the world. Click here to view the Common Results Catalog and become familiar with the way your organization's progress and results will be presented on your GuideStar Nonprofit Profile.
How Platinum Helps
- Demonstrates that you are an organization that is focused on measuring your progress and results
- Gives potential funders information they crave, so it's good for fundraising
- Shows your improvement and results year over year
- Provides a concrete alternative to donors evaluating you using your overhead ratio
- Go to www.guidestar.org and sign in using your registered email address and password (I'm not registered with GuideStar).
- Click the Update Nonprofit Profile link at the top of the home page.
- Click on your organization's name to start updating your organization's profile (I need to claim/request permission to update my profile).
- On the left-hand side of the page is a list of categories. Click on Platinum.
- Click the blue Start Now button. This will bring you to Step 1.
Review our library of potential metrics by clicking View a PDF and choose metrics that your organization uses to track your progress towards forwarding your mission. If you are unsure which metrics to use, please review public-facing materials, such as your website. You can choose up to 20 metrics, however 3-5 metrics is a good start.
Select your metrics. If you are unable to find a metric that fits your organization in our library, then enter your own custom metric. To do so, scroll to the bottom of the page in step 2 and click on "Can't find a metric? Add your own."
Enter your custom metric. Keep your metrics linear by following the format "Number of (adults) who (are provided with safe housing)". Click on the box "I understand that using a custom metric means it will not be comparable to others in the field."
You will be given suggested metrics (just in case you didn't see them before). If you still want your custom metric, click the box at the bottom "Use my custom metric."
Report your results by clicking Add Details.
In order to achieve the Platinum Seal of Transparency, you must provide one year's worth of data, however it is recommended that you provide 3-5 years' worth of data, if available. Click "Add a year" to continue adding data, dating back to the year 2000. Give your data some context by writing in the Context notes section, located to the right of the Year by Year Results section. This is where you can explain good years, bad years, how your results fit with your larger goals, etc.
If your data relates to a specific program or target population, choose the appropriate program or population using the drop-down menus located beneath the Year by Year Results section.
When your metric is complete, you may click "Yes, display" to show your metric on your public profile, "No, do not display" to save your metric, but not display it publicly, or "Display, but note that it is no longer tracked" to display data that isn't current, but is still important to include in your public profile. In order to achieve the Platinum Seal of Transparency, you must click "Yes, display" for at least one metric with at least one year's worth of data.
Save & Publish
- After completing Step 3, you will see the (below) screen. Click "publish now."
- Click Finish and Publish to complete the process. Your information will be appear on your GuideStar Nonprofit Profile within 48 hours.
Platinum Level of Participation Widget
Follow the instructions below to display the Platinum Level of Participation widget on your site (You must have access to update your organization's Nonprofit Profile to download the widget).
- Sign in at www.guidestar.org.
- Click on the Update Nonprofit Profilelink at the top of the home page.
- On this page, click the Benefits & Rewards link for your organization.
- Click the Get the GuideStar Participation Widget link.
- Follow the instructions on the GuideStar Widget page.