Our search engine uses the NTEE (National Taxonomy of Exempt Entities) Classification System developed by the National Center for Charitable Statistics as part of its keyword searching criteria. You can add additional, more relevant codes to your GuideStar profile using the “Categorization” section of the GuideStar Nonprofit Profile. Choosing a good, representative NTEE code will help your organization be found more easily by users searching our database. For example, an organization that is coded C27 will come up when someone searches on the keyword "recycling."
- Go to www.guidestar.org and sign in using your registered email address and password (I'm not registered with GuideStar).
- Click the Update Nonprofit Profile link at the top of the home page
- When you are signed in, you should see your organization listed on the page.
- Click on your organization's name to start updating your organization's profile (I need to claim/request permission to update my profile).
- On the left hand side of the page you will see a list of categories
- Click on Bronze, and then click on the sub-category "Categorization" to update the NTEE Code
- List of NTEE Codes