GuideStar does not remove organizations from our database. However, organizations that have been removed from the IRS Business Master File for six consecutive months or more will be hidden from the GuideStar public report page. Once your organization has been removed from the IRS Business Master File for six months, basic registered users will no longer be able to view your organizations profile.
In the meantime, a charity can opt out of receiving on-line donations through GuideStar and through our partner sites. To disable online giving, please follow the directions below:
- Go to www.guidestar.org and sign in using your registered email address and password (I'm not registered with GuideStar).
- Click the Update Nonprofit Profile link at the top of the home page
- Click on your organization's name to start updating your organization's profile (I need to claim/request permission to update my profile).
- Click, “Confirm & Publish” in the blue bar, in the “Options for Sharing” section
- De-select the check box for “Yes, I want donors to be able to easily give to my organization through GuideStar partners like Network for Good and JustGive”
- Click “Finish & Publish” at the bottom of the page for your changes to take effect
- Your listing will remain on GuideStar partner sites, however, your organization will no longer be able to accept donation
- Please allow 24-48 business hours for the changes to take effect.
- If you would like to be “opted-out” for collaborations (the ability to no longer appear on Partner sites) please notify us via email to Outreach@guidestar.org (Be sure to include the EIN and organization's name in the subject line, along with a brief message regarding your request)